According to the South African Police Service (SAPS), firearm owners who choose not to renew their firearm licences had to dispose of their firearms before 1 July 2009.
Firearm owners have the following legal gun disposal options:
- having the firearm deactivated by a licensed gunsmith after approval from the Registrar;
- selling the firearm to a licensed dealer;
- selling or donating the firearm to another person who has legally obtained a firearm licence;
- permanently exporting the firearm; or
- handing the firearm over to the police to be destroyed or sold to an accredited legal entity.
SEE – IMPORTANT NOTICE – INTERIM INTERDICT AGAINST THE MINISTER OF SAFETY AND SECURITY CONCERNING FIREARM LICENSES
Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question. It will be answered as soon as possible via email.